Monday, November 20, 2006

Stuff and Things

("Stuff and Things" is, by the way, the name of a secondhand store in Oregon.)

I have too much stuff. I have mentioned this before, and I have thought it for some time, so why do I still want more stuff? It is human nature to be selfish and greedy and to not be thankful for the things that one already has. Americans in general have too much stuff, and yet we are never content. A Bible verse that really struck me is Ecclesiastes 5:11:

As goods increase, so do those who consume them.
And what benefit are they to the owner except to feast his eyes on them?

I tend to make resolutions throughout the year, not just at the beginning. I resolve to be more grateful for what I have, and to do my best to focus on those things rather than on the things which I don't have.

Along those lines, if someone you know has too much stuff, you might consider giving a donation to Samaritan's Purse or some other charity in their honor in lieu of a Christmas gift. I personally have never done this because I am always afraid to step out and do something different. However, I think I will do this for a few people this year. I know that I would be thrilled if, for example, someone bought a goat for a poor family in my name. They could use a goat much more than I could use more sock yarn, I'm sure.

2 comments:

Holly said...

What a great post, and a great reminder. I love the idea of donating in a friend's/relative's name. Way to bring the season back into proper focus!

Anonymous said...

On behalf of Franklin Graham, thank you for posting a link to Samaritan's Purse on your blog. Your support is greatly appreciated. Please continue to pray for those around the world who continue to suffer as a result of wars, famines, disease and natural disasters.

Sincerely,

Darren Mullenix
Director of Development Operations
Samaritan's Purse