Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Here we go with the complaining...

So I got my Motherwear newsletter and catalog in the mail the other day. For those of you who don't know, Motherwear is a company that makes and sells clothing for breastfeeding mothers. They also, not surprisingly, promote breastfeeding. Here is a quote from the newsletter, Parenting from the Heart:

Remember, women in traditional cultures have a lying-in period during which all they do is rest in bed and feed their babies.

What the heck is a "traditional culture", and why don't they consider my culture traditional? Just because I grew up in a city instead of a dung hut in Africa? It's like they're afraid to actually mention any specific countries or races for fear of offending someone. Though, in our litigious (I think that's the word I want) society, I guess I can understand.

1 comment:

Arevanye said...

*wants to belong to a traditional culture*

I would have given anything to lie in bed, be waited on, and just feed my baby for the first few weeks. Wouldn't that be glorious?

I say that, but I'd probably get restless and want to clean something. But still.