Thursday, August 24, 2006

E's birthday shirt

Here is the little shirt I made for E for her first birthday. It is a (major) variation of the Party Dress from Knitting for Baby. That pattern has a short knitted bodice with a sewn skirt. I thought it was very pretty, but E isn't walking yet (well, now she is but she wasn't at the time) so I thought a shirt would be better.

I changed the bobbled edge (I don't like bobbles) to a picot hem, then worked the pattern as written only longer; it's about 10". As I was sewing it up - the morning of the party - I realized that there was no way it was going to fit over her head so I added a little strap, miraculously found a matching button, even more miraculously found some pink thread (in a hotel sewing kit that I've saved for years and years), and decided that the neck and armholes looked fine the way they were. Phew.

No comments: