Thursday, March 08, 2007

Works-in-progress Wednesday

Let's just pretend that I didn't miss Wednesday, shall we?

The only thing I've worked on over the last few weeks is the second Midnight sock. Honestly, I'm surprised that I've been able to knit as much as I have lately (which isn't a lot, but still, I'm dealing with a newborn and a toddler here). All done with the heel flap and ready to turn the heel:


I love the way these socks are turning out and I'm sure that I will love wearing them (which is good, because I just discovered that two pairs of my store-boughten socks have holes in them and need to be thrown out). The pattern is the Lichen Ribbed Sock from Knitting Vintage Socks. It has a Welsh heel which has been very interesting to work, but I'm not sure how well it will wear; it seems thin somehow. Perhaps that's because the seam stitch is continued all the way through the heel.

I had grand plans to knit socks for sister M, who is here visiting this week. I finally decided to scrap the kid mohair socks and start over, so I ordered some Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport. I got fifteen stitches cast on the other night while I was waiting for a prescription (they were very, very quick) and that's as far as I've gotten. She is leaving tomorrow night. Sorry, M. The poor girl even lives in Chicago, where she needs wool socks right now.

For those of you who use a smaller size needle on just the bottom of the foot to lengthen the life of the sock, when do you switch needles? When you start the heel flap? I've been thinking about trying that.

No comments: